Boston Children’s Theatre’s (BCT) mission is to provide access to exceptional theatrical experiences dedicated to fostering the artistic and personal development of diverse youth, with a focus on professional training and the development of new works.
Boston Children’s Theatre seeks to become a national leader in theatre productions and training. We strive for excellence in theatre training for young people, in creating new works, and in partnering with schools, using the medium of theatre to engage, enlighten and motivate youth towards productive and fulfilling lives as members of society.
We aim to provide broad access to theatre experiences by offering programming that reaches out across diverse backgrounds to engage youth of all ages. We work to ensure that each and every student who has the curiosity or the passion for theater has an equal opportunity to experience this life changing art form.
Our vision is realized through these values:
- Theatre has the power to transform lives, build confidence, teach collaboration, and help young people to become better students and citizens. Our programs provide a unique chance for self-discovery and individual expression through a supportive and productive environment.
- Theatre is a Bridge. Artistic expression connects diverse groups of young people from different ages, races, ethnicities, genders and socio-economic backgrounds. Our active scholarship program ensures no students are turned away for inability to pay. BCT’s doors are open to all.
- Professionalism and Excellence. High quality theatre is achieved through maintaining and understanding artistic discipline. Professionalism and professional standards play a key role in rehearsals, productions and classes, and enable us to consistently stage exceptional musicals and plays.
- Innovation sets us apart. Our New Works program develops children’s theatre that is immediate and relevant to today’s youth. We seek to redefine and explore diverse forms of programming, including inter-generational work, and work with disabled populations.
- Our Staff. Our outstanding staff is our greatest resource. We will recruit, develop and nurture our staff at all levels of the organization. We will compensate our staff fairly and look for opportunities for their development. We will continue to expand our resources to support the high standards of our programming.
- Healthy Operations. We work to build an operational budget that adequately provides resources to support our high standards, and the exploration of new works. In our operations, we plan for sustainability and we act as reliable stewards of our, staff, patrons, donors and community partners.