“I’ve always felt that stories are the tools of a child’s life. Though there’s nothing better than classics like Peter Pan, we need new stories, modern stories that today’s youth can relate to. The social issues that today’s youth face need a voice on stage – to help empower the next generation through the arts.” – Marcia J. Trimble
The Marcia J. Trimble New Works Program is now accepting submissions for New Works. Please see below for Criteria and Submission Instructions. Each year, three new works will be selected for readings in the Spring.
Scripts may be plays or musicals, and must meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Adaptations of a Classic or widely-popular Children’s Literature.
- Based on historical events and written from a child or young adult perspective.
- Original scripts or musicals which challenge young audiences in their themes and broaden our conception of what Children’s Theatre ought to be.
- Plays must be between 45 and 90 minutes in length.
- Plays must be produceable with no more than 20 actors.
- If a musical, orchestration must consist of six or fewer pieces.
To submit a script for consideration for the 2014 Spring Readings, please submit it between March 24, 2014 and April 30, 2014. Submissions postmarked after April 30th, or received by email after midnight on April 30th will not be considered.
Please submit the following to be considered for the Marcia J. Trimble New Works Program:
- A copy of the entire script
- A synopsis of no more than one page
- A character breakdown
- Music tracks and lead sheets (If a musical script is being submitted)
- Playwright’s resume
Email submissions to email@example.com with “MJT New Works” in the subject line.
To send by USPS, please mail submissions to MJT New Works, Boston Children’s Theatre, PO Box 171388, Boston, MA 02117.